When trying to connect to the Minecraft server, the user may get bumped with the error Failed to connect to the server – io.netty.channel.abstractchannel $ annotatedconnectexception:
- Connection timed out: no further information
- Connection refused: no further information
And the only button “Back to server list“, which returns to the list of servers.
The error “Failed to connect to the server | io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel $ AnnotatedConnectException “indicates an unsuccessful attempt to connect to the Minecraft game server. And the text after it indicates detailed information:
- Connection timed out – connection timed out . This means that there have been many attempts to connect to the server, but they were all unsuccessful.
- Connection refused – Connection refused. This indicates that there was some specific reason why the server refused the connection.
Why does the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel $ AnnotatedConnectException error appear when connecting to the Minecraft server
The io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel $ AnnotatedConnectException error can be caused by various factors, including:
- DNS server problem;
- Problems in the game server;
- Malfunction of the game file system;
- Invalid game port;
- VPN or Firewall;
- Conflict with antivirus software;
- The problem is with the router;
- Incorrect version of Minecraft.
Error io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel $ AnnotatedConnectException Minecraft: how to fix
Let’s take a closer look at the step-by-step instructions for fixing the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel $ AnnotatedConnectException error when connecting to the Minecraft server.
Server health check
First of all, you should make sure that the server is working properly. To do this, you can use one of the specialized online services. For example, mcsrvstat.us You need to follow the link and drive the server IP address into the appropriate line. If the server is working properly, then the site will give information about the number of players.
If the message “Could not get the server status …” appears, then the reason for the error is the incorrect operation of the server. You just need to wait until it normalizes.
Restart your computer
The first thing to do if an io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel $ AnnotatedConnectException error occurs is to restart the PC. A banal restart of the computer in most cases helps to eliminate the errors that arise. This advice should not be neglected.
Disable Antivirus, Firewall, VPN, Proxy
Immediately before trying to connect to the server, you should completely disable your antivirus and Windows Firewall. If it helped, then in this case you need to enable them again, go to the antivirus and firewall settings and add the game folder to the exceptions. The instructions for different antiviruses are individual, but for the firewall, you should do the following:
- Open the “Start” menu;
- Go to system parameters;
- Go to the section “Updates and Security”;
- Select “Windows Security” in the left navigation menu;
- Go to the subsection “Firewall and network protection”
- Select the item “Allow work with the application through the firewall”;
- Find Minecraft and its components in the list and mark them with checkboxes, then click the “OK” button.
You also need to disable all programs that perform spoofing or hiding the IP address: VPN, Proxy, if any. In particular, stop using software like Hamachi.
Flushing the DNS cache
You should also flush the DNS cache. For this you need:
- Open command prompt as administrator. This can be done from the Start menu or by using the built-in search for the operating system. You can also launch the Run application by using the Win + R hotkeys , where you enter the cmd command at the prompt . Windows 10 users can use Windows PowerShell instead of the command line;
- Enter the ipconfig / flushdns command into the command line and press the Enter key.
Reboot the router
It is worth rebooting the network equipment. You must turn off the router by completely disconnecting it from the mains and wait at least 1 minute before turning it on again.
Editing address and port forwarding rules
Incorrectly set rules for processing addresses and ports in the router settings may cause an error. To fix it, you need to go to the router settings. To do this, you need to drive into the address bar of the browser IP: http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 . Enter your username and password. Standard login and password: admin admin. You need to go to the security settings section and delete the existing rules.
Eliminating the problem with the file system of the game
Quite often, the reason why the io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel $ AnnotatedConnectException error occurs is a problem with the game’s file system:
- Damaged files;
- Incorrect version of Minecraft;
- Incorrect mods.
The best solution is to completely uninstall the game using the Windows Add / Remove Programs wizard. Then you need to download and install the game again. Preferably from another source.
If you don’t want to download the whole game again, then you can try a simplified version, which consists in deleting the server folder located in the game folder. After that, you need to re-download the launcher and check the integrity of the files.
In some cases, using a VPN may not be the cause, but the solution to the problem. You can try using Hamachi to create a VPN. And connect to the server through it.
Cleaning and optimizing your PC
It will not be superfluous to do PC cleaning and optimization. The CCleaner program is perfect for this