You can format any local drive (except the system one) or an external hard disk using the tools of the operating system itself. To format the system partition of the hard disk, a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive is used. Since when you attempt to format the system disk, the message: You can’t format this volume, the disc is already being used.
This article will tell you how to format a hard drive with Windows 10. The user should discuss the need to format the local drive, system drive or a new hard disk since the methods for solving the problem are significantly different. The operating system tools easily allow you to format the connected hard drive, and do not allow – the system drive.
Fast or full formatting
Normal disk formatting can be done using the operating system. It’s then that the user will need to choose between fast and full formatting. To understand why full formatting takes much longer, you will need to find out how the full and speedy formatting of disks differ.
- Fast formatting– deletes only data about the location of files on the disc. At exactly the exact same time, a new boot sector is made and an empty file table of the specified type is formed. In fact, space is not cleared but becomes unused. It follows that the system is given full rights to overwrite all data. After such formatting, it is likely to recover deleted files.
- Full formatting– not only simplifies file allocation data but also physically resets the information recorded in sectors of the disc. In addition to this, the drive is checked for damaged businesses, with their automatic correction. If we speak about full formatting, recovering files is very problematic or not possible at all.
If You Would like to sell your hard drive, we suggest that you perform full formatting of the drive. Since Fast formatting provides simple permission to overwrite all data. In Fact, they’re not deleted from the disk, but are overwritten over time. formatting.
How to format a drive in Windows 10 Conductor
Open my computer or explorer, and choose the drive you wish to format. Next, right-click on the drive, and in the context menu select Format.
In the formatting window that opens, it is sufficient to restore the default setting, and having chosen the formatting method, click on the Start button. When you haven’t checked the Quick thing (clearing the table of contents), then the formatting process may have quite a long time.
After a Fresh installation of the operating system, the user needs To add My computer to the Windows 10 desktop. Since by default, There’s absolutely not any computer icon on the desktop, and the methods for incorporating have been slightly changed.
- Open the disk management tool by running diskmgmt.msc in the Win + R window.
- Further, in the context menu of the desired Drive, similarly select Format.
- In the window that opens, just install Quick formatting, and click OK
Important! The file system type and cluster size are best left as default. If needed, formatting can be carried out again. There’s absolutely no need to compress files and folders today.
- Through the command line, you can easily format the hard drive by implementing several commands in the desired order. Before formatting, make sure to run the command line as administrator.
Then find out the quantity Number of the desired drive for formatting by running the command: list volume.
- Now, select the disk with the command (that I want to format the zero disk, change the number according to your disk) by executing the command: select volume 0.
- To Format, the disk through the command line, execute the command: format fs = ntfs fast.
After formatting is finished, the user will be given a message stating that DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. In the last command, we specified the NTFS file system type and the quick command for quick formatting. The type of the file system can be changed if necessary, but to get a complete one it is enough to delete the quick format control.
How to format a hard drive for installing Windows 10
During the installation process, the user also has the opportunity to create, format, delete and expand partitions on the hard drive. To cleanly install the operating system onto a disc, the user only needs to format it.
- During the setup, the user simply needs to select the type of Installation – Custom: just install Windows (for advanced users).
It is after such formatting that you can install the operating system on this disk.
How to format a new Windows 10 hard drive
After the first connection, the computer often does not find the new hard disk . In cases like this, the user simply needs to define the letter and path to the hard disk partitions or initialize a new quantity. If, after connecting a new hard disk, all partitions instantly began to be displayed in your explorer, then it’ll be enough to use one of the aforementioned methods.
The operating system tools Allow you to completely work with hard disk partitions. Thanks to which you can easily format the hard drive in Windows 10. Users only need to decide that Formatting method is far better to use. To do this, it will be enough to find out the main differences between fast and complete formatting.